Well, it’s the end of another year, last year I did a post to summarise the year and plans for the next year so I thought I would review my progress. It’s been a very interesting year with lots of different things happening. Just some of the things technically based I have done:
- Made a snowman, wonder if we will get enough snow to do that again this year – We had a snow baby and his name is Frosty
- Finished 3rd in the UK round of the Imagine Cup – Ben Hall’s Blog- Imagine Cup 2007 UK Final — Herts of Code
- Joined Red Gate – Graduate Test Engineer @ Red Gate Software
- Held a Vista and Office Launch on campus – University of Hertfordshire Vista and Office Launch
- Gave a few nuggets at NxtGenUG Coventry.
- Graduated from University of Hertfordshire with a First. Also won a University prize for academic achievements and the Imagine Cup.
- Spoke at DDD6 on MbUnit
- Wrote two articles on Rhino Mocks
- Wrote 220 blog posts
- Attended TechEd Europe
- Started planning Alt.Net.UK
So what do I have planned for 2008? Here are just a few things I really want to do.
- Speak at NxtGenUG next month.
- Alt.Net.UK Conference
- DDD7…. I will submit one or two sessions.
- Blog more – I want to hit the 300 posts in a year…
- Achieve my MCTS in SQL Server 2005.
- Learn more about SQL Server 2008.
- Release some software… Don’t know what, but something simply but effective.
- Produce more screencasts
- Write more articles
- Maybe speak somewhere else. Need to decide what to speak on…
- Play on my XBox 360 more.
- As a developer, I want to better understand the low level aspects of software development (threads, JIT, Garbage collection – generally the CLR and DLR better). I also want to improve my high level understanding (patterns and practices).
- As a tester, I want to improve my skill at writing automated tests. I also want to improve my manual testing abilities.
- Read more code. I want to start reading more open source code from various different projects to help point 12 and 13.
- Learn Ruby/IronRuby
Wonder how many of them I will actually get done…