Just tried to install Katmai (SQL Server 2008) on to my dev machine with Visual Studio 2008 on there. After installing, the Management Studio was not on the start menu – strange. As a quick look on the MSDN forum I found a pointer to this in the readme
4.5.1 Remove SQL Server 2005 Workstation Components before Installing SQL Server “Katmai”
Workstation components is an option under the SQL Server 2005 item in Add/Remove.
As uninstalling this, and repairing the SQL Native Client installation, still nothing. I then re-ran the main install, and selected just the workstation components option. This went ahead and installed a little bit more but then Windows reported that SSMS crashed, in the setup log saying:
MSI (s) (9C:8C) [16:37:06:048]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server “Katmai” Tools — Installation failed.
MSI (s) (9C:8C) [16:37:06:057]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft SQL Server “Katmai” Tools. Product Version: 10.0.1019.17. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603.
Things just went from bad to worse from then. I used system restore to roll back my system and start again. This time, I uninstalled SQL Server 2005 components first, install worked fine this time and didn’t fail. However, when I tried to login to the server from Management Studio I was getting more errors:
A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 – No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)
Within event viewer it said
The Tabular Data Stream (TDS) version 0x73090003 of the client library used to open the connection is unsupported or unknown. The connection has been closed. [CLIENT: 127.0.0.1]
Same errors when I tried to login from another VM machine with Katmai on and also Visual Studio. However with Visual Studio, I could connect using the SA login and OLEDB and also sqlcmd, even though I couldn’t from Management Studio. The SqlClient provider is not correctly able to connect to Katmai, even when the server is working.
I tried to connect to Katmai working on another server and this also failed.
After a few hours of playing around I have given up! Not sure if I am going to attempt to uninstall Katmai or just flatten the machine.
Not sure why this is causing problems as Katmai and Visual Web Dev June CTP worked fine side-by-side. I think installing Katmai after Orcas was the killer.